Skip to main content

Reflections on my D-behaviour preference

Pádraig Ó Lúanaigh and his Everything DiSC - D style

I wonder if discovering your Everything DiSC® preferred behaviour style is a bit like ordering a meal in a restaurant ? While you are happy with your style - everyone else's style looks more appealing !

Completing the online assessment to uncover my Everything DiSC® type was easy and took about 20 minutes to complete - and it turns out I am a 'strong' D style. There are four 'types' in the DiSC system D - Dominance, i - Influence, S -Steadiness and C - Conscientiousness.

Of course there is no ideal or perfect style to be and in truth most of us will demonstrate a mix of styles. I was assessed as unmistakably D and it is hard for me to disagree since the assessment result was based on my responses to the questions ! 

Doing this assessment allowed me to reflect and re-consider my behavioural patterns and reactions. 

My detailed report reminded me and I had to agree that I am motivated by power and authority and success. I couldn't disagree and neither could my family and colleagues that I prioritise taking action and challenging myself and others in almost everything I do. 

And there was no hiding from the fact that I can be impatient and insensitive when under pressure. As I reviewed my style, I wished I had been an S or I style ! 

I saw those other qualities and behaviours are so much better; giving support, enjoying collaboration, humility ....

As I read more of my personal assessment I was reminded that the key message is not so much your preferred behaviour style but how you have increased awareness of how your approach and view of things can differ from others - not because they are wrong or trying to frustrate you - but simply that they 'see' and approach things differently. 

And this has been the real benefit of doing an Everything DiSC® assessment - my personal reminder to be more self-aware of how my behaviour is influenced by my priorities and fears and the need to have a genuine appreciation for others and remembering that their motivation and fears may be different to mine.

If you are interested in what style you might be - try this .... which statement do you identify with more 

1 -Active, Fast-paced, Assertive, Dynamic, Bold   or

2 - Thoughtful, Moderate-paced, Calm, Methodical, Careful 

now choose between one of these

3 - Questioning, Logic-focused, Objective, Skeptical, Challenging   or 

4 - Accepting, People-focused, Empathising, Receptive, Agreeable

If you chose the words in 

1 and 3 you could be a D style

1 and 4 you could be an i style

2 and 4 you could be an S style

2 and 3 you could be a C style

Knowing you preferred behaviour style is of course just the beginning - the real benefit of an Everything DiSC® profile is the insight and information about how your can better interact and communicate/work with all four styles.

While I still envy the qualities of the other three DiSC styles - I am learning to maximise my own tendencies while also watching out and controlling better my reactions when under stress - which I guess is key to being a better version of myself and an more enlightened leader !

I loved Everything DiSC® so much I went off and became a certified trainer. If you want to find out more about the suite of assessments and profiles I have created an Everything DiSC® page on my website that has more detail, videos and sample reports.

CH Executive Coaching

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The being busy trap

Today’s walk along the road was achieved by careful timing and watching the clouds to avoid the rain. I found myself wondering about a conversation I had last week about the language we use in work situations relating to how busy we all are.   I caught myself saying that I had ‘back to back meetings all day’ not sure if I was looking for admiration or pity.  The fact that I could feel the uncomfortableness of the fact, combined with an annoyance with myself for getting into this situation collided and I adopted a resigned to accept it outlook.  With the time to reflect today – I wonder how often I willingly allow myself to get into the too busy being busy mode.  The day goes so quickly – for sure ! Some around may marvel at my revolving office door and the constant foot fall ….  When I reflect on what I achieved during my day of meetings it is clear little or any of it could truly be called ‘deep work’ – in contrast to what is described as ‘shallow work’ – those non-productive meetings

Managing Difficult Staff : Tips for Nurse Managers

As a nurse manager, managing challenging staff can be a daunting task. However, it's essential to address the issue promptly to ensure the smooth operation of the healthcare facility. Here are some tips to help you manage difficult staff effectively: Identify the root cause: Understanding the reason behind the challenging behavior is critical. It could be due to personal or work-related issues. Once you identify the root cause, you can work towards finding a solution. Communicate effectively: Communication is key when it comes to managing difficult staff. Have an open and honest conversation with the staff member, listen to their concerns, provide constructive feedback, and work together to find a solution. Set clear expectations: Set clear expectations and boundaries for the staff member's behaviour. Make sure they understand the consequences of not meeting these expectations. Provide support: Offer support and resources to help the staff member improve their behaviour, such a

Take control of your negative self-talk

As a manager, it is important to understand how negative self-talk can impact your work and your team. Negative self-talk can lead to decreased confidence, increased stress, and ultimately, burnout. Here are some tips to help you manage negative self-talk: Recognise negative self-talk: Start by identifying when you're engaging in negative self-talk. Pay attention to your thoughts and notice when you're being overly critical or pessimistic. Here are a few thoughts that may help shift a pessimistic perspective: Remember that everything is temporary. Even if you're going through a tough time now, it won't last forever. Focus on the things you can control. Sometimes it's easy to get bogged down by things that are out of our control, but try to shift your focus to the things you can do something about. Practice gratitude. Even when things aren't going well, there are always things to be grateful for. Take a few minutes to think about what you're thankful for in y